Discoverings about music as anxiety relief

After my second tutorial and after contacting a musician who will help in my intervention, I have been reading about Music Therapy and the role of music to relieve anxiety and stress. According to the article “Implications of Music and Brain Research” by Donald A. Hodges I found some important aspects to understand better what I want to do, and also I found the strong connection with healthcare.

1. To speak about music is important to understand the concept of noise and music:

NOISE: “Sounds that exist without controls for volume, duration, or cause/effect relations.”

MUSIC: an intentional auditory stimulus with organized elements including melody, rhythm, harmony, timbre, form, and style.”

2. Noise regularly cause fatigue, hyperalert, insomnia, and decreased appetite, some kind of music helps with anxiety but it depends on several factors:

• The circumstances
  • The listener preferences
  • The intentions
  • Anxiety level
  • Distractions

3. Music therapist exists from decades ago and normaly are professional musicians responsible for the restoration, maintenance, and improvement of mental and physical health. Music therapists work in a variety of settings as part of the healthcare team.

4. There are some effects by music have already tested:

• Classical music increases heart rate variability, a measure of cardiac autonomic balance (in which increased levels reflect less stress and greater resilience)
  • Rock music decreases heart rate variability (reflecting greater stress).11,12 In students engaged in stressful tasks, lower salivary cortisol levels are noted in those listening to music compared with control subjects, whose cortisol levels increased.13
  • Ins some cases Music could be compared to the opium effect in patients.

5. Music can be designed to reduce anxiety and is the type of music who has more positive effects: relaxation, mental clarity, vigour, and compassion and significantly decreased hostility, sadness, fatigue, and tension.

6. Currently the music therapy is used in several surgery and healthcare procedures as surgeries, cancer trearment, dying patients, among others.

Music therapy may offer benefit to some patients undergoing clinical procedures by helping to divert their attention from potentially unpleasant experiences; however, it may be important to tailor the intervention to patient desires and preferences.

My reflection
If I want to reduce the anxiety in the workplace using classical music… I need to understand better what the users think about classical music and also what are their current music preferences, some other studies show to relief anxiety using music it is important to understand the emotional connection with the songs because sometimes are the memories related to each one who create or evoke another emotion. That What

Originally I was expecting just to use traditional Baroque Music but after readings, now I will use some new popular songs. However, I will do a previous survey into the company I will do the intervention to understand what are their preferences.

Some new sources about music in the workplace:

• The sound of cooperation: Musical influences on cooperative behavior. KEVIN M. KNIFFIN1*, JUBO YAN2, BRIAN WANSINK1 AND WILLIAM D. SCHULZE1
  • Whistle while you work? A review of the effects of music in the workplace. Karen Landay⁎, P.D. Harms
  • The Effects of a Single Music Relaxation Session on State Anxiety. Smith, Melissa